Last month our Simbithi Maintenance Manager, Warren stepped back onto a thorny branch while attending to pruning. A really large and nasty Acacia thorn embedded in his leg, at the back of his knee. A surgical procedure and five stitches later, the offending thorn was finally removed, and he has the scar to prove it! Gardening is not always a bed of roses and there are a few other garden hazards that we would like to mention that one should watch out for and avoid:
- Thorny, spiky and poisonous plants
- Exposed tree roots
- Chipped or uneven pavers
- Ends of stakes (cover with a cork)
- Unprotected water like bird baths, ponds and water features for small children
- Slippery paving and mossy soil in shaded areas
- Gardening tools (especially hard rakes) that have not been packed away.